The City contracts with Linn County Planning for Plan Review and Inspection Services. However, all permits for properties within the City limits (with the exception of electrical permits*) must be submitted directly to the City. *Electrical Permits are submitted directly to Linn County Planning & Building.


Click HERE to schedule an inspection or to check on permit status.

Below you will find answers to most frequently asked questions. Please contact City Hall for more information.

About Permits

Oregon law requires permits for a range of work on your home to make sure that the improvements meet minimum building requirements to ensure safety. Permits are required for all new construction as well as for specific alterations to existing homes, including structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical changes or installation. Most construction projects will require a permit, including work in the City Right of Way (including planting trees).


Sheds, Fences, & Driveways
Some projects, such as sheds or fences will not require a permit, but must adhere to Halsey Development Code Standards. For more information, see our Sheds, Fences, & Driveways FAQ’s below under Supporting Documents.

The City contracts with Linn County for building code review and inspections. Building permits are first reviewed by the City, and then sent to Linn County for review. Because of this review process, permits for a new single family home can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. Commercial permits may take longer if a site design review is required, which may  require a Planning Commission Meeting.

  • Residential, mechanical, or plumbing permits can be issued over the counter at City Hall same day. These include (but are not limited to) projects such as: replacement of a hot water heater, installation of gas piping or water lines, bathroom fan replacement, or furnace/heating system installation.
  • Building permits are reviewed by the City and then submitted to Linn County for review. This process can take several weeks. Linn County Planning & Building can be reached at 541.967.3816.


Please visit the Forms page to download application materials.

Land Use Planning

Land Use Planning applications (Partitions, Lot Line Adjustments, Subdivisions, Variances, and others) have various processes as defined by the Halsey Development Code (HDC.) Many require review by the City Planner and the Planning Commission and can take several weeks or longer, due to requirements for noticing and the logistics involved in processing a more complicated application. Depending on the type of application, they may require a surveyor and/or a civil engineer and professionally drawn plat maps. If you are getting ready to submit a Land Use Planning Application, please contact city staff for more information on the process your application type requires.

If you are considering a major project, a land use application, or something complicated that might require variances, you have the option of requesting a Pre-Planning Meeting. There is a fee for the meeting, of which will be applied to the deposit charged by the City for Land Use Applications or Site Design Review Applications. This is meant to give applicants with a complex project access to the City Staff to determine feasibility. Certain kinds of applications are governed by “Type III — Quasi-Judicial” processes — these applications require a Pre-Planning Conference. Examples of a Type III application would be an application to change Zoning, a Subdivision with more than four lots, or a Class C Variance.